Monday 6 September 2010

Bombay Bicycle Club – Rinse Me Down [Single] (Island Records)

Being a very big fan of Bombay Bicycle Club’s first album ‘I Had The Blues But I Shook Them Loose’ I have to admit that I was a little disappointed when hearing their latest album release ‘Flaws’. An entirely acoustic album, it seems to lack the energy and quirkiness that I enjoyed so much in their debut, and ‘Rinse Me Down’ is a good example of this problem. 

Don’t get me wrong, I think that ‘Rinse Me Down’ is an alright song. It is well constructed, with the instruments taking the forefront over any vocals that become extremely forgettable when you hear the beautiful plucked string accompaniment. But this is the problem; there is no chorus or even a simple hook to the song, nothing to remember it by and definitely nothing to sing along to. It feels very much like an album track that they are forcing out as a single. I know that this might be largely down to the concept of an entirely acoustic album, but there are plenty of fully acoustic bands out there that can produce better, more energetic and quirky music than this. 5/10 

www.bombaybicycleclubmusic.com

No comments:

Post a Comment